From scorching temperatures and brilliant sun rays to heavy rainfall and windy thunderstorms, this summer season has been full of unpredictable weather! If the elements have left their mark on your beautiful estate, you might need to complete a quick cleaning to restore that radiant curb appeal to perfection. Thankfully, all eye-catching Horizon Stone varieties are as easy to maintain as they are to install.
When you want to give your home an efficient shine, follow these valuable tips for cleaning your exterior. Here’s an easy-to-follow guide for how to clean stone veneer the right way!
Pre-Cleaning Exterior Stone Veneer – Review your exterior stone veneer first to make sure that the weather hasn’t damaged or stained your walls. Look for cracks, damaged stones, stains, or discolorations that may have occurred over the summer! If you need to repair any sections, you will appreciate how easy to install Horizon Stone options are.
When it comes to repairing a crack or loose mortar, we recommend consulting with a mortar manufacturer for more information on how to fill in any cracks, add grout coloring to match your mortar, smooth the grout, and create a finished surface.
Cleaning Exterior Stone Veneer – Start your easy stone veneer cleaning procedure by mixing a gentle cleaning solution of one cup mild dishwashing or laundry detergent with three gallons of hot, clean water. Now that you have your cleaning solution, here are a few Do’s and Don’ts to follow as well:
- DON’T use muriatic acid or harsh chemicals on your stone veneer.
- DON’T use wire brushes, or pressure washers to clean your stone veneer.
- DO use a clean cloth, sponge, or soft brush to thoroughly wipe down the stone and easily remove any stains.
- DO rinse your stone veneer with a low-pressure hose to remove the cleaning solutions and particles, and then let the exterior air dry.
Considerations When Cleaning Exterior Stone Veneer – After you clean your exterior stone veneer, these additional cleaning considerations will ensure picture-perfect results for your home:
- Stone veneer can experience scuffing just like natural stone so use water and a soft brush to remove it, rinse the stone veneer with a low-pressure hose, and let air dry.
- Make sure to also clean all windows, doors, and front porches of marks, cobwebs, and debris.
- Pressure wash all exterior brick, exterior siding, driveways, and sidewalks so that the whole property shines just as bright as your stone veneer!
Does Exterior Stone Veneer Need A Sealant? – In climates that experience extreme weather, moisture, or humidity, a sealant can provide exterior stone with extra defense against stains, color deterioration, and abrasive particles. Here’s what you need to know:
- Horizon Stone products do not require a sealer.
- If you do want to use a sealer with Horizon Stone veneer, only use breathable silane or siloxane-based sealants and avoid any products with acid.
- Use a paintbrush to apply two coats of sealer and allow the first coat to dry according to the label instructions before applying the second coat.
There’s nothing like a fresh exterior cleaning to make you step back and appreciate your gorgeous property to the fullest. We want to see your home too: Make sure to follow Horizon Stone on Facebook and tag us in your amazing photos for all to see!